Tuesday, December 2, 2008

WARVICTIMS intervju, Punk Ping Ponk #2, juli 2008 (ENG)

Warvictims intervju i Punk Ping Ponk #2.

1. HEY, YOUR BAND IS GETTING POPULAR NOWADAYS. IS MYSPACE A REALLY GOOD WAY TO EXPOSE YOUR BAND NOWADAYS?
FISEN: Warvictims would not be were we are today if it wasn’t for myspace. You get in touch with other great bands, labels and other like-minded people. I think that myspace is a good community.
FETEBOB: well its the easiest way nowadays but i dont really know if it is the best. I myself is a traditionalist and want people to read zines and buy tapes and recortds, but ofcourse myspace has opened up for alot more bands to be recognized such as ourselves. I think the computer era is boring, get out there and make some fukking noise!!!

2. WHOSE IDEA TO PLAY A VERY RAW CRUSTCORE BAND?? TO REMEMBER THE OLD BANDS OR WHAT??
FISEN: I have never thought about it in that sentence. We started because we don’t think that there are too many bands like Warvictims out there today. Keep it simple, you don’t have to complicate your music.
FETEBOB: i´ve always played this style in varios constallations.. its the only thing i know. Old masters and new pioners, we play for them all and they are in our hearts just like we are in yer ears!

3. WELL, IT’S VERY LAME TO ASK YOU THIS BUT DO YOU THINK ‘DIS IS GETTING PATHETIC’??? CAN YOU ADMIT IT???
FISEN: No I don’t think so. Most of the kängbands I listen to start with DIS. Perhaps it’s me who’s pathetic? Haha.
FETEBOB: This is an interesting question, when Active minds did their 7"the scene was exploding with metalbands that just discovered that it is easy to play d-beat and get a name from doing it.. i dont wanna namedrop but there are a few who should know them. These bands are luckely rare these days and now real punks play real d-beat again which i think is excellent. If your intentions are good, go for it and rip discharge or whatever, if it aint coming from the heart, i dont wanna hear it!

4. YOU GUYS ALSO DO A SKITLIV FANZINE AND D-TAKT & RAPUNK RECORDS. PRETTY HARDWORKING UH! WHAT’S YOUR TARGET DOING ALL THESE?? HOW DO YOU GUYS MANAGE TO DO ALL THESE THINGS??
FISEN: Yeah we are hardworking punks, if you want things to happen you have to Do It Yourself. We have put out nine issues with our zine Skitliv! and we will do one more number. We will quit after we released issue #10. We just ain’t got the time for it anymore. Instead I will focus more on the label and release more raw records. The main reason for why I keep myself this busy all the time is that I like it. I love to cut and paste interviews with great bands and I like to put out great music with punk bands. It’s all about support one another and I’m glad if I can help someone out in any way. I also work as a sound engineer with recording bands. I eat, breath and shit music.

5. IN THIS MODERN DIGITAL LIFE THERE’S TECHNOLOGY LIKE MP3 AND DOWNLOADING. DO YOU THINK IT WILL KILL YOUR MUSIC AND OUR SCENE??? MOST PEOPLE DON’T REALLY BUY STUFF NOW, RITE? DO YOU FEEL THE EFFECT OF IT??
FISEN: I think it’s good to make the music free and available for everybody. Punks still support each other so the ones who suffer and feel the effects most of this is the major labels like Sony, Warner and such. And I don’t feel sorry for them, they have taking advantage of the musicians for several years. I’m lousy at computers so I don’t even know how to download songs and films, so I still buy from record stores. I like to check the cover, read the lyrics and watch the pictures in the booklet meanwhile listen to the record. I know this is rare and most of my friends download songs/albums and keep them on their computers and in their mp3 players.
FETEBOB: I am by principle against all these technical advances but i can see the use for them and understand how to use them in a correct manner not to exploit or destroy anything.. use whatever you got in for a good purpose and it can help the scene. Its true that people buy less records today than ie 10 years ago.. my view on this is that if you really like the music you buy the records.. im a collector as so many of us and i want to buy the records anyway.. its to be said that a mp3 doesnt give you the whole deal, the music sounds better on vinyl.

6. IN INTERNATIONAL PUNK SCENE, MOST PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN VINYL THAN CASSETTE. I THINK THIS 2 ANALOG SHITS ARE BETTER IF COMPARED WITH CD, BUT IT SEEMS THAT CASSETTES ARE LOSING VALUE. IT’S LIKE YOU ARE GETTING MORE ATTENTION IF YOUR BAND HAS VINYL RELEASE THAN CASSETTE OR CDS. DO YOU AGREE?
FISEN: I think that I can agree to that. When I grew up you could never afford to release a cd nor an lp. It was always demo tapes with homemade black and white printed covers. I still love that format very much and I’m sad to say that it’s hard to find descent labels who wanna release tapes these days. Cd-r is cheap and a good way to spread your music, but I prefer vinyl.
FETEBOB: yes i agree fully on that! Its sad that the tradition of tapetrading and buying tapes is almost extinct.. i believe it is a nice format to release in but it is more efficient to put out cds and conveniant too. Vinyl is the shit but its no fun walking around with vinyls in a rainy festival for example.. I dont know if bands get more attention though, its a easier thing to burn a cdr nowadays. I would like to make tapes sometime again.

7. SO FAR, DID WARVICTIMS HAVE ANY TOUR?? HOW ABOUT THE SCENE DOWN HERE? DO YOU KNOW ANY BAND FROM SOUTH EAST ASIA???
FISEN: We were supposed to do a European tour this summer but things got fucked up. Challe (vocals) decided in the final minute that he didn’t wanna go out on tour due various reasons. Read more about this at our myspace profile. I’m sorry to say that don’t know so much about your scene and the bands from East Asia. Feel free to give us more information about it.

8. SOME PEOPLE SAID MOST OF CRUST/D-BEAT BANDS ALWAYS HAVE SONGS ABOUT WAR AND IN THEIR ARTWORK APPEREANCE. IT’S LIKE THEY ARE LACK OF IDEA. BUT FOR ME IT’S STILL RELEVANT TO TALK ABOUT WAR AS LONG AS THERE ARE STILL ‘GREEDY BLOOD SUCKING MONEY’ PEOPLE ON THIS MOTHER EARTH. DO YOU THINK IT’S AN EASY WAY TO MAKE A LYRIC ABOUT WAR?? OR DOES IT TRULY COME FROM YOUR HEART???
FISEN: As long as we have greedy bloodsucking vampire around the world we will have wars. We need to remind and point out that there are still wars going on! Just check the conflict in Georgia; we can not say that everything is alright when it’s not. Why should never turn our eyes away and deny war, starvation and injustice when they still exist!
FETEBOB: Yeah i agree there is relevance in singing about war. From our perspective its deadly serious and its also a theme for the warvictims collective to sing and have artwork of war. There are still wars being fought all over the world and we are equally to blame for it since our technology and money is sponsering some of these wars. For some its just lyrichs and thats ok too as long as they stand by it.

9. HOW’S THE SCENE IN YOUR PLACE??
FISEN: It feels like the Swedish scene is growing again after a short downturn. I live up north and the punk scene have been almost dead for years over here. There are cities nearby with great communities.
FETEBOB: I live in the southwest of sweden and here its a good enviorment for making music, there is lots of bands and people connected to the punkcollective. However, there isnt enough rawpunk in these parts.. mostly hardcore and crust is big. I enjoy the anarchist crusties company and support their gigs.

10. THERE ARE TOO MANY GOOD BANDS FROM VARIOUS GENRE OF MUSIC BORN IN SWEDEN. HOW IS THE SOCIETY REACTION TOWARDS THE MUSIC SCENE??? IS MUSIC A WAY OF LIFE??? OR IS LIFE IN SWEDEN TOTALLY BORING AND MAKE PEOPLE JUST STAY AT HOME AND DO NOTHING BUT MAKE MUSIC?? ANYWAY, SWEDISH PUNK AND SWEDISH METAL ALWAYS KICK ASS!!!
FISEN: life is boring and an everyday struggle, but it’s all about taking control of your own life and refuse to be a part of the system we all live in. We are forced to work for money to food, rent, other bills and our own survive ness. Music is my breathing space, where I feel relaxed and not under pressure. Music is absolutely a way of life, as punk is. Some say it’s the hard and cold climate that brings all the bands. But I don’t know about that. We have for sure some ass kicking raw punk bands over here, we always had.
FETEBOB: There is a big gap between sing about stuff and then actually do it.. Punk in sweden has both of these people sitting at home doing nothing cause they are too tired from there boring 9-5 jobs.. but there is also a lot of activists and the network of freedomfighters is growing in numbers. A small band of people who play in bands are very active politically and make demonstrations and raise money for the illegal immigrants of sweden. We have so many things to accomplish and getting people of their ass is one of them. Think about what you can do for your near community. Get active in the ways you see fit and that you enjoy doing. We all will benefit from it.

11. WHAT DO YOU DO BESIDES PLAYING WITH THE BAND? IS IT HARD TO SURVIVE UNEMPLOYED?
FISEN: I’m not unemployed, I have a great job were I feel that I grow and were I make a different. I help young musicians learning how to play music and I also work in a studio recording bands. There have been periods in my life when I have been unemployed but I get so restless of not doing anything. I need some routines in my life. This is only how I am, and I’m not talking for the rest of the band but when I’m unemployed with nothing to do I easily end up on my couch watching tv all day long. This “doing nothing” atmosphere gets me lazy. I just am not got the strength for it. I need to work and keep my self busy to stay alert and growing as a human being. I wish everybody could have a job they enjoy.
FETEBOB: Right now im out of job and has been for long long time.. there is various ways to get by unemployed. I get allowance from the state since they see me unfit for work right now. Im not well in my head so i go home and do lots of varoius things, reading, making music, painting and such. There is also wellfare but its connected to the unem,ploymentoffice which wont leave you alone untill you have some ssort of "job", which will mean that they give you a shitty job with lousy pay and no possibility to find real employment. Its only statistics see.. Finding a decent job is hard right now with this rightwing shitgovernment. Im a gardner so this is really my seasson now, but maybe i can stay on allowance for another couple of months so im safe for the winter. This pay i get is set on the pay i had on my former job which was really wellpaid.

12. OKAY, THAT’S ALL FOR NOW. ANYTHING TO SAY??
FISEN: Thanks for the interview and good luck with the zine! Keep up to good work! Check out our myspace site for further information. Thanks!

No comments: